Tuesday 5 July 2011

The French have a point- Full veil violates human rights.

Every time I see someone in a  full Burqa, I get alarmed. I can't help it. There's something about not being able to see someone's face that makes me very uncomfortable.


Recently in Auckland, there's been two cases of people in full face veils denied entry onto buses. The bus drivers have been reprimanded after complaints were filed against them. My sympathies are with the drivers. There have been many cases where bus drivers have been assaulted by passengers and there has even been a case where a taxi driver's been killed. I think drivers have a right to be able to see the faces of their passengers.

All Taxis in NZ now are required by law to have cameras for the safety of the drivers. Wouldn't that be a direct conflict to these laws to allow Burqas to be worn in public? There is a real security reason to ban Burqas. The New South Wales police has just been granted the right to ask for the removal of veils. Also, Banks do not allow entry to anyone concealing their faces (bike helmet, balaclava, burqa etc).

The primary reason I'm against Burqa is that it takes away a persons ability to communicate effectively. Facial cues are naturally a big part of communicating; a smile, a frown speaks volumes. It is detrimental to the quality of life for those behind the veil if they are not able to build relationships to their full capabilities. I'm surprised that proponents of women's rights haven't said a thing yet; burqas are a huge step back for women. Many would argue it's a woman's choice, I would argue it is not a choice when there's family and community pressure on women to wear burqa. It is also not a choise if a person grows up in that expectation and doesn't know it is even a choice.

Also, not being able to see someone's face automatically builds mistrust. Imagine your own reaction if someone wearing a balaclava knocks on your door or comes into a shop where you are; it is a natural human need to want to be able to identify the people sharing your space.

We must have an open debate on the burqa's imposition on human rights. We can not let political correctness and cultural or religious sensitivities rail road us into a lesser society.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I am highly puzzled by the decision to wear a burqa if you are living in a country where it is not imposed. But I guess I have to reserve judgement until I have met and spoken to one of these burqa wearers.

    ReplyDelete